REASONS FOR PC ISSUES & TIPS TO FIX A SLOW COMPUTER
How do I fix a slow PC?
A PC can get affected by any number of issues separately or simultaneously. The issues range from minor to highly technical. However, the issues that typically slow down a computer are common and every computer user should know about them and about the ways to fix them too. There are multiple issues that slow down PC. It should be noted that the processor, the hard drive, and the RAM are the main hardware component that has direct impact on how the PC functions. Some of the common issues that affect these hardware components and the respective solutions on how to fix a slow computer and PC issues are:
- Useless Applications: Regular PC users have the tendency to install applications when needed and then forget about them. Each application installed occupies memory causing the hard drive to rotate more. The OS takes longer to allocate memory due to a shortage of free memory space and thus the performance is slowed down.
Fix: The simplest way to release memory space on the hard disk is to uninstall all the useless applications. Users may have to purchase hard disk to increase storage space too.
- Background Applications: Some applications such as Skype and antivirus start to run automatically in the background when the computer starts. They normally do not intrude the users’ activities and, so, they do not seem troublesome. However, such applications use the primary memory, which is even more important than storage space.
Fix: Barring the antivirus, all applications that run in the background but are not required should be stopped. Such applications do provide an option to force-stop running.
- Temporary Files: Whenever users browse the Internet, there are files that get downloaded automatically. Those files are downloaded in the background and typically do not seek permission. They are needed to facilitate browsing, online video-playing, etc. However, they have not deleted automatically and capture the memory.
Fix: Temporary files should be deleted regularly and cache memory should be cleaned regularly too.
- Outdated Software: Software that was installed long ago and has not been updated cause trouble and may slow down a system. It is particularly true in case of web browsers and OS. An old version of web browsers performs poorly and is unable to access certain websites and content. Too old OS may cause such performance issues too.
Fix: Updating the software regularly can solve this issue. Modern web browsers typically update automatically. In case of the very old OS, users will have to install the latest version since OS does not update automatically.
- Overheating: Various issues cause overheating, dust and dirt being a common one.
Fix: Vacuum cleaning the ventilators of the cabinet while the computer is switched off can take care of this issue. Professional help may be required if overheating persists.